Application can be made to expunge a Criminal Record under certain circumstances.
1. What does expungement of a criminal record mean?
Expungement of a Criminal record means that the record of the criminal record is
sealed and the details are not revealed in for example a “Police Clearance certificate”.
For all practical purposes the offence can be handled as if it never happened. Legally
you do not have to declare the offence unless asked.
2. Under which circumstances can a criminal record be expunged ?
• Ten (10) Years has lapsed after the date of the conviction for that offence.
• If The person has not been convicted of any other offence and sentenced to a period
of imprisonment without the option of a fine during those 10 years.
• If the fine imposed did not exceed R 20,000
• Was not convicted of a sexual offence against a child or a person who is mentally
disabled, and whose name is not included in the National Register for Sex Offenders.
• Was not found unsuitable to work with children by a criminal court and my name
is not included in the National Child Protection Register.
• Was convicted on the base of race
• He or she was convicted of a offence which would not be regarded as a offence
in a open and democratic society based on human dignity equality and freedom under
the democratic constitutional dispensation.
3. Process to Expunge a Criminal Record
• Obtain a Police Clearance Certificate so that the offence details and date can
• Complete the relevant application for expungement of a criminal record.
• Send the application for expungement to the Director General : Justice and Constitutional
• If the Director - General is satisfied that a person meets the requirements set
out in the Act he or she will issue a certificate of expungement directing that
the convictions and sentences be expunged.
• A certificate of expungement will be issued to the Criminal Record Centre of the
South African Police Service.
• The Head of the Criminal Record Centre will inform the applicant in writing that
his convictions and sentences has been expunged.
• Apply for a Police Clearance Certificate that will be issued without the convictions
4 Documents Needed to Assist in applying for Expungement of Convictions and Sentences.
• Two sets of fingerprints ( First one to obtain a initial police Clearance Certificate
to establish offences and the second to obtain a final Police Clearance Certificate
on the end of the process)
• Application form for expungement
• Authorisation for us to lodge application on your behalf.
5. Processing Time - Indication
• Initial police Clearance Certificate 4 weeks
• Department of Justice 6 weeks
• Criminal Record centre 6 Weeks
• Final Police Clearance 4 Weeks
5. Cost And Fees
Inclusive of the two Police Clearance Certificate applications, lodging and
follow up of application R 3750 - 00
Expungement of Criminal record
Or you can E-Mail us at Info@gmtm.co.za
• Complete Application form and Client sheet.
• Scan and Email or Fax the Client Sheet with your courier tracking number to us.
• Courier applications.
57 Swarthout Street
• We will be in contact on receipt
• On receipt of payment we will courier the certificates to u.